Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Update - January 30

The rains keep coming. It has rained every day for two weeks now. We are slogging through mud to get to our classes, and we don't leave the house without an umbrella or rain jacket. The roads are slick with the layer of gooey mud, but there is little room between potholes to work up enough speed for any sliding around.

The classroom I teach in has a metal roof and no ceiling. When the downpours come, the noise of the rain on the roof is deafening. No matter how loud I talk, the students can't hear me. I have to resort to writing instructions on the board as we wait for the rain to let up. Last week I had English classes at 3:00 and 5:00. Then I was scheduled to teach the college women's Bible class at 7:00. At 3:00 a huge thunderstorm came through and I had only about 15 minutes of class time when the students could hear me. By the time class ended, the sun had come out and the skies were clear. At 5:15 another storm blew in and that class also had to sit and read from the board until the rain stopped a half hour later. I was all set to walk out the door for the evening Bible class when the power went off. By this time the campus was darkened, so no electricity meant no class. It was just one of those days!

We have enjoyed a quick visit from Christopher Harmon and his mother Belinda. Christopher works with a foundation that is drilling water wells in the area. Belinda spent Monday with the well drilling team visiting job sites. Then on Tuesday I took her on a campus tour and we visited the market in Kalomo. Both Christopher and Belinda are delightful guests and we have enjoyed their time with us.

No comments: