Saturday, January 06, 2007

Update - January 6

We are back in Austin after a week on the road visiting my family and friends. We drove to Missouri on the 27th and stayed until the 31st. Sara drove up with us and John flew in on Friday the 29th. That night we had a gathering of my nieces and nephews--an outstanding bunch I am extremely proud of! Some spirited game-playing brought out my competitive streak (my team won) and revealed a possible inherited tendency toward competitiveness in the relatives, as well as a tendency for my nieces to marry really smart guys who also like to win (I was on their team).

Saturday the 30th we had our official family gathering and managed to have all the immediate family there--but not all at the same time. A stomach bug swept through the ranks causing some to leave early and others to arrive late. Oh well--we almost had the whole group there for the photos.

David preached at Mt. Vernon on Sunday. This is the congregation where I grew up, and it is always a nostalgic and joyful experience to visit there. The Sunday School teacher who inspired me is now frail--but still smiling and beautiful. I reminded her of the many great times we had with her and her husband. They took our group of giggly junior high girls to the lake and taught us to water ski on Table Rock Lake. Barbara also encouraged us to memorize scriptures, and the verses I learned then are still with me. Through the years I have often thought of her and hoped that I have been able to influence students in my classes the way she influenced me.

We stayed in Tulsa with Sara Sunday night and then drove on by ourselves to Searcy for another visit with David's parents. We made it back to Austin on Thursday and are now busy making our last minute preparations before we leave to return to Zambia on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Tom Jan Cammack said...

It was wonderful to see you while you were on furlough. We are thankful for your safe arrival "home". Keep us posted on how we can help you and on the progress of Victor and Obrien.
Tom and Jan Cammack