Thursday, April 05, 2007

Chicks!


Petronella's eggs hatched this week! We now have five fluffy yellow chicks peeping and scratching their way around the chicken coop. Petronella is fiercely protective of her little charges and is quick to gather them under her wings at the first sign of danger.

Citronella is still faithfully sitting on her eggs. One of our Zambian friends had an explanation for why she was spending time on Petronella's nest last weekend. He explained that some of the eggs in Petronella's nest were Citronella's, and she wanted to make sure they were taken care of. I guess that makes sense.

I didn't know that chickens could growl, but Citronella definitely growls at me any time I come near her nest. She puffs up her feathers and gives me a fierce, beady-eyed stare along with a growl that says quite clearly, "Leave me and my eggs alone or you'll be sorry!" She's sitting on a combination of chicken eggs and guinea fowl eggs that we put in her nest. Won't it be fun when all of them hatch!

No comments: