Sunday, July 01, 2007

Lectureship and the Brittells

Namwianga is hosting its annual four-day lectureship right now. The first Monday and Tuesday of July are national holidays, so Namwianga has a Friday through Monday program of speakers and classes. The students all get a long break so that the people who attend the lectureship can stay in the dormitories. I think there are over 1,000 people on campus right now.

David spoke at one of the keynote sessions on Saturday morning and introduced the lectureship theme of Holiness. I was scheduled to speak to the ladies' class Saturday afternoon at 3:00. I went to the auditorium at 2:45 just in case the 2:00 class ended early. As it turns out, the 2:00 speaker was still going strong at 4:15, so my class didn't begin until 4:30 or so. I was glad that I was able to be in the earlier session, though, because I got to hear Jacob Sianungu preach in English as Aaron Brittell interpreted in Tonga. These men have an interesting life story. They were raised in an orphanage at Sinde Mission by the Brittell family. Augusta and Jesse Brittell moved to Africa with their two adult daughters, Gladys and Elaine, in 1946 to start the orphanage. Their son Orville was already working at Sinde Mission. The Brittell women did all of the day-to-day care of the babies and spoke to them only in English. Jacob and Aaron sound exactly like Americans as they speak even today.

I have read a book about Augusta Brittell entitled "Mother of Eighty." She was a woman of great faith and evangelistic zeal for the lost. She died in 1964, but her legacy lives on in the men like Jacob and Aaron who were raised by her family. Jacob is a preacher in Livingstone and also runs an orphanage. Aaron lives in Kalomo and is a church leader. We have been on several outreaches with him and his gospel singing group.

The story of the Brittells is fascinating. After Augusta died, her daughter Elaine continued caring for some of the orphans. She moved into Livingstone and became known for her works of kindness and her involvement in the community. One Zambian told me that Elaine would go to the hospital and find a patient who needed care--someone who was a stranger to her. Elaine would bring a mat and sleep on the floor next to the patient's bed for as long as necessary. Some people called her the "Mother Theresa of Zambia."

She lived in a room behind the Central Church of Christ building in Livingstone. In the early 80s, she was murdered as she slept. The killer was never found. I have heard stories about her funeral. Those who were there say that the entire town lined the streets as her coffin was carried in the procession. The line of mourners was so long that when the first people in the procession reached the cemetery a mile outside town, the end of the line of mourners was just leaving the downtown area of the city. Today there is an area of Livingstone named Elaine Brittell Township.

I would love to know more about Elaine and the Brittells. If anyone reading this happens to have information or knows any of the family, please let me know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the daughter of Gladys Brittlle Clarke (who is Elaine Brittlle's sister). Am trying to make contact with David or Linda Gregersen. I was there when my Aunt was murdered.

David and Linda Gregersen said...

Thank you for responding! Please e-mail me at dlgregersen@mac.com. I am interested in writing Elaine's story for publication. I think it is a story that needs to be told. I'll look forward to hearing from you. Please encourage others in your family to contact me as well.
Linda

Anonymous said...

SAM BRITTELL.....I am the oldest son of JOYE and ( late ) LESTER
BRITTELL. Aunt ELAINE BRITTELL was my dad's sister along with Aunt Gladys Brittell ( Clarke)I lived some of my younger years about eleven there at SINDE MISSION and have been trying to get any pictures of the mission and find out about what is there now,Feel free to contact me if you need . I am in OREGON Rita my older sister is in WAsHINGTON brother RICK is in IDAHO mother is in TEXAS with my other two sisters. She was a great woman and I would be proud to have someone write all about her great life.
Thank you SAM and JEANNIE BRITTELL

Unknown said...

My name is Charles Brittell Sibulunga. I am one of the oldest orphans adopted by Augusta and Jesse Brittell. I am very pleased to come across this blog because its been my wish to communicate with the remaining family members of the Brittells or get any infor on them, share my memories of happy, caring childhood, be able to communicate with auntie Gladys. I also remember you Sammy, we were playmates at Sinde Mission and I was the tallest of the boys. When the Opel car of Lester Brittell couldn't start, I am the one who helped him start it. The passion and knowledge of Auto-mechanics came from our father Jesse and Orvel Brittell. I kindly hope to open up communications with the Brittell family and I also have some information on the Mission and some photos as-well. Just let me know were I can send them and I gladly will. My e-mail is chazi@gmail.com, postal address Charles Brittell Sibulunga P.O. Box 31209 Lusaka Zambia and my cell number is +260969294335. please do get in touch with me. Thank you

MRG said...

My aunt and I visited the mission and the Brittells in 1961. My aunt sponsored a young boy named Judah. She bought Judah a bicycle while we were there. Mrs. Brittell and Rita came to the hotel where we were staying in Livingstone. As a young teenager, it was a life-changing experience for me, and I've often wondered about Judah, Rita and her family.

MRG said...

My aunt and I visited the mission and the Brittells in 1961. My aunt sponsored a young boy named Judah, and she bought Judah a bicycle while we were there. Mrs. Brittell and Rita came to the hotel where we were staying in Livingstone. As a young teenager, it was a life-changing experience for me, and I've often wondered about Judah, Rita and her family.

Anonymous said...

Hello, My name is John Evans. I am the great grandson of Augusta Britelll. I hope to travel to Sinde Mission some day.
Gladys and Elaine had a sister named Naomi, (Maxine), that was my grandmother. I met Oroville, Galdys and her girls once or twice but have little memory of it. I remember Tracy and Tella. Please send me any info. You have of the mission or please help me find a copy of the book, Mother of Eighty

Anonymous said...

John Evans , Augusta Britell's great grandson. She passed before I was born . Would love to get a copy of the book Mother of Eighty. Please send me anything you can regarding sinde mission. Jmevans@onebox.com.
I would like to say hello to Tracy and Tella.