Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Home Again

We are home again and settling back into some sort of routine after a month of medical mission and traveling. Last week we did a trip to South Luangwa game park in eastern Zambia with Mark and Michele Broadway and nine others from the medical mission team. We spent four days on the road--two days to get there and two days coming back. Grueling is the word I would use to describe the journey. The scenery was gorgeous in several places, but stretches of the road were very bad, and the last four hours of the drive into Luangwa were on a rough dirt road. We did enjoy an overnight stop both ways at Mapepe Bible College to see our friends David and Lorie French.

South Luangwa Game Park was incredible and made the travel worthwhile. The game viewing has to be some of the best in Africa. We saw elephants, all kinds of antelope, zebras, cape buffalo, giraffes, bushbabies, civets, hippos, a leopard, and lions. We stayed right on the river and listened to the hippos bellowing to each other at night. An elephant strolled right by our chalet, and monkeys jumped in the trees over the roof. The giraffe and lioness above were within a few feet of our vehicle during a game drive.




Mark and Michele are finishing up all kinds of last minute projects for us before they leave on Thursday. I'm preparing myself for a letdown when the house is empty again after having so much activity in June and July. We won't have much time to think about it, however, as the follow up on medical mission contacts begins in August.

3 comments:

Mary Ann Melton said...

Wonderful photos, Linda! I am so glad you got to go there. And good to hear that you had some time for recreation after the wonderful, but tiring medical mission.

Sara Gregersen said...

That lion picture is amazing!

just me said...

Hi, it's me, I just wanted to Thank You and Your entire family for your love and dedication to the Zambian people. I am amazed again this year at all that was done for sooooooo many. The quite time is always hard but a good way to reconnect to God on a slower more personal level. I know when all my brood leave i get really sad, and tired and God is still right there. You are so kind and so remarkable too me and I learn so many things that i can do here in the USA. I'm writing a novel again...sorry....I forget it's comment not email. Prayers, Hugs and love cj