Monday, March 21, 2011

Sponsored Student


I'm still very involved in the US Sponsorship Program at Namwianga. This week I've been writing up bios of the new grade 10 sponsored students. I haven't met many of them, but I do know a few from interviews I conducted last October. Gift Kabali is one that I remember well because he was so impressive.

I interviewed Gift Kabali at Sinde Basic School last October. I knew immediately he was the kind of person that the sponsorship program is designed to help. Both of his parents died in 2006, and since then he has lived with his grandmother at Sinde. She is also raising his brother and sister and some other orphans.

Gift had one of the highest qualifying scores I've ever seen -- he scored more than 100 points above the minimum cutoff point on the high school entrance exam. He is also a leader and last year was the Headboy at his school, the highest leadership position available.

Helping students like Gift is what the sponsorship program is all about. I'm glad I can be a part of it.




No comments: