Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Moving?

We THINK we will move into our house on Wednesday. We've spent the past two days working on the floors. You wouldn't think that waxed concrete should be that difficult, but this is Zambia. Some workers were hired to go in and wax the floors last week. They did. In fact, they waxed right over all the paint drops and spills that were still on the concrete. So we have had anywhere from two to six guys working for two days to remove the wax and remove the paint spills (sandpaper and paint thinner and lots of exertion) and then rewax the floors. I have vague unpleasant memories of waxing floors in my childhood, so this has been quite an education. The wax is put on the floors using a rag or just bare hands. When the wax is dry, the floor has to be polished with a brush and then wiped again with a polishing cloth.

Now that the floors are done, there are just a few more details to be finished. We'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that sounds just like what Scott did on the floors at the cabin, it was a lot of work, floors can be slippery too!
Hope to hear that you are in your house soon.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoy all the stories! I especially enjoy recognizing a familiar name from my one trip to Zambia, and your stories make me long for a return visit.
Although you'll soon be settled in your new home and the frequent moves will cease, my guess is that the adventures will continue. I can hardly wait to read them.

May God continue to bless you and the people of Zambia.

Mary Ann Melton said...

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!! I am so excited for you that you are getting to move into your house soon. I hope that waxing floors will be a task that you'll only have to do occasionally! But at least the concrete floor will have a finish. I remember at the Girl Scout house in Taylor when we first had only the concrete floor. Unfinished concrete seems to create its own layer of dust. After we laid the commercial tiling, it always felt cleaner. I hope you have a digital camera so you can give us photos at some point.

We are excited for you!