Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Memories of Zambia


Meg Jack is one of the Vanderbilt University doctors who stayed with us in March while doing a rotation at the Namwianga Clinic. She reflected on her experiences in a recent e-mail and agreed to let me share her thoughts on the blog. Meg writes:

Our trip was an emotional roller coaster, challenging our views of what is important in life, how we view money, our roles as physicians, and much more. I am most struck by how gracious the Zambians are and the true beauty that emanates from their faces in the midst of poverty and death. Though I will never be able to walk in their shoes and fully know how they feel, it boggles my mind that they seem much happier and content with their daily lives than many American--despite their daily struggles of facing illness, a lack of food and sanitation, and death. They don't complain, few tears are shed, and they continue to smile, put their best foot forward, and praise God for all that they have. How can that be? Maybe it is because they don't know any better, maybe it's due to the fact that they live each day to its fullest because they truly don't know if it's going to be their last, maybe it's because God knows their situation and gives them the gift of unconditional love and happiness. Whatever the reason, I will always be in awe with a permanent place in my heart for the Zambian people. I will continue to strive for that type of peace in my heart and a daily appreciation for being so incredibly fortunate.

No comments: