Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Going High Tech

What you see behind me on the screen in this picture is a powerpoint slide! We taught for the first eight months here with chalk as our only visual aid. In May I added a roll of brown butcher paper and markers to our supplies. Allen Neese, one of the doctors on the medical mission, saw our need and gave us a multi-media projector. What a blessing this has been! We don't have to spend precious class time writing on the board. My classes have been learning how to do research papers, so I was able to project sample papers for them to look at. David has incorporated pictures of the temple and other biblical sites into his lessons.

The logistics are still a bit daunting. The first task was getting the electricity working in all three of the classrooms we use. Now that we have outlets, all we have to do is lug the screen, projector, laptop, and converter from our house to the classroom and set them all up for each class. The work is worth it when we see how much more effective our lessons are with some visuals added. We still pack our chalk, though, because when the electricity goes out . . .

I was writing this blog and had just started the last sentence when the electricity DID go out. I have a two-hour class planned for this morning, and I've got wonderful powerpoint slides prepared. Guess I'll get my chalk and start on Plan B.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Phil Elkins, I was a missionary
near Livingstone (on the Ngwezi) for 5 years. While we were there our son Todd was born in Livingstone. He is a professional soccer player; works with Missionary Athletes International & coaches a Christian pro team in Calif.
Todd is planning a trip next month to several African countries, including his
birth country of Zambia. I am hoping to
establish email communication with Roy
Merritt. Can you help me do that? Thanks.

David and Linda Gregersen said...

Phil,
Roy is in the United States until the end of December. You might be able to find him by contacting the College Church of Christ in Searcy, Arkansas. Your e-mail address wasn't given to us with your comment, so I can't reply directly to you. Ours is our first initials starting with David's, then last name @ mac.com if you want to try to e-mail us directly.