Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Peace Corps Friendship

Shown here with us is Jalle (Jah-LEE) Gibesa, the Peace Corps worker who served the Kalomo area for the past two years.  Jalle quickly became a treasured friend and we enjoyed her visits immensely.  I've said before that I have the utmost respect for the hardy Peace Corps volunteers.  They live alone in thatched huts with no electricity or running water and rely on bicycles for transportation.  We have found them to be deeply committed to helping the Zambian people.  We've also discovered that they are able to find humor in the direst of circumstances, and we have enjoyed the many hilarious stories they tell us about their adventures.  

We took this photo when Jalle came to tell us goodbye.  She has completed her two-year stint in the Peace Corps and has now returned to the US.  She plans to become a doctor.  I'm confident that her experiences serving in Zambia will make her an especially competent and caring physician.  

1 comment:

April said...

I just found you on here and am adding you to my links so I can keep up with you guys. I hear I missed you at school a few weeks back! I would have loved the chance to catch up. How in the world will I make it next year without you there to make me look like a great teacher? :)