Sunday, February 21, 2010

The People at My Door – Chilala


Chilala is a sponsored student in grade 10. He’s bright, articulate, and energetic. Tuesday he knocked on my door: “Madam, I am speaking in chapel tomorrow. I’ve worked really hard on it, and I think I have a good message. I would love to have you come and hear me.”

Chilala sat in the village for a year after grade nine because he had no money to pay for high school. He got a sponsorship last year and quickly became active on campus in clubs and sports.

The secondary chapel service is at 6:30 in the morning. I was delighted to give up my morning jog to hear Chilala speak. He delivered passionate talk about the power of God to overcome difficulties, and I listened with delight, proud of the fine young man he is becoming.

No comments: