Sunday, February 26, 2006

News and Notes - February 26

We are enjoying a visit by some members of Zambia Mission's American Board this week. Charles and Sharon Small from Abilene and Allan and Valerie England from Oklahoma City have been on campus since last Sunday.

Tuesday evening I invited the secondary school choir to come to the guest house and sing for the visitors. As usual, the choir was fantastic and I had chill bumps and tears in my eyes. I sometimes wonder if I am the only one so touched by such beautiful music. The Smalls and Englands, however, shared my delight. Sharon is a retired music teacher, and her comment to the students was, "I have heard many groups through the years, but none any better than this one."

The students were thrilled to hear such high praise. Just for fun, I asked them for a show of hands to answer two questions: "How many of you have ever had a music or voice lesson?" and "How many of you can read music?" Not a single hand went up in answer to either question.

I did get many more hands when I asked how many of them were sponsored students. The majority of the choir members are at Namwianga because someone in the US or Canada pays for their tuition and fees. I think the sponsors are making a great investment in the future of the church in Zambia.

No comments: