Friday, June 16, 2006

This Is a GOOD Family

“This is a GOOD family.” My father made this announcement with pride when all of us gathered for meals. He would wait for the designated pray-er’s final “amen” after the blessing. Then his face would beam as his voice boomed the words that reminded us that our family was special.

I have thought about my dad’s words these past few days. My older sister reminded me that she is the only one of the four siblings in the United States this week. My brother is directing a medical mission in El Salvador and my other sister is there working on his mission team. A nephew and two nieces are also there helping in this effort.

Mary, the one who remains in the US, has done her part by collecting supplies for both El Salvadoran and African mission work. Our daughter Sara will be here with us in just a few weeks to participate in Zambia Medical Mission. Aunts and cousins are helping to sponsor needy students here at Namwianga.

My father died in a farming accident in 1973. I’m sure he had no idea that one day his children would be spread around the world doing mission work. But he planted in us the conviction that we were supposed to be working for the Lord and making a difference. You can’t leave a better heritage than that. I’m very blessed to be part of his “GOOD family.”

No comments: