Friday, June 16, 2006

What Would Martha Stewart Do?

We love having visitors from the US here at Namwianga, so we were looking forward to having a group associated Mapepe Bible School in Lusaka visit us last Sunday. Our good friends David and Lorie French were bringing their two daughters and a group of eight Americans from their sponsoring congregation. They planned to stay overnight on their way to do some sightseeing in Livingstone. Wil and Jenny Pippin and their son had arrived at Namwianga on Thursday, so we had invited them to come eat with this group on Sunday night. David had left on Saturday for his weekend outreach, but I thought he would be back by mid-afternoon on Sunday when the visitors were scheduled to arrive.

I got up early on Sunday morning to get started on preparations for the Sunday night meal. I baked a couple of cakes and made egg noodles before I left for church. When I came home and turned on the water tap in the kitchen, nothing happened. I tried all the other taps in the house—no water. Our tank was empty. I called around and found out that the rest of the mission had been without water for the entire weekend. At least I had had enough in the storage tank to make it until Sunday.

I did some math in my head. We had an extra Zambian houseguest, so I was expecting 18 people for dinner. Nine of those were to stay overnight at our house—and we had no water. I also had no vehicle since David was gone. It was time for creative thinking. I had the keys to Ellie Hamby’s house because some of the guests were going to sleep there Sunday night. Since no one had been staying there this week, I hoped that her tank might still have water. I got the wheelbarrow out and headed down the road. I filled up a 5-gallon Igloo at Ellie’s and brought it back to my house in the wheelbarrow.

The group arrived at 3:00. David and Lorie have water problems at their house, too, so the guests were very understanding as I pulled out wet wipes for hand washing. With the extra drinking water I had stored earlier and the five gallons from Ellie’s house, I managed to get dinner ready. We had a delightful time enjoying our meal together--but without David. He called at 7:00 saying he was still at least two hours out in the bush. The water finally came back on, to everyone's relief. We still had no hot water, because the water heater forms an air lock whenever it gets empty and refuses to work until the plumber comes to fix it. Lorie French pitched in and the two of us managed to heat water and get the dishes done. We got everyone situated for the night before David finally got in at 9:30.

Monday morning I heated water on top of the stove so people could have hot water for taking baths. We had another enjoyable time together at breakfast, and then the group took off for their day’s adventures. I breathed a sigh of relief—at least the electricity hadn’t gone off!

3 comments:

Mary Ann Melton said...

I can understand this. On the way to California we had a blow out on one of the back tires. Turns out it took out our gray water tank. Which means - we can't use water the same way as before. Fortunately the black water tank is intact. So . . . . . we are using hand sanitizer instead of washing our hands the normal way. I bought simple food items - to minimize cooking - and added throw-a-way bowls and forks - because dishwashing is going to problematic.

The replacement tank is ordered - in theory, it will come in in 2-4 weeks. If it arrives in a timely fashion, it will be replaced here in California. If it is tardy in arrival - we will have it shipped back to Austin and have it installed there.

I sure enjoy reading about your interesting adventures! As in my Girl Scout days, you always have to have a back pocket plan!

Unknown said...

Despite all of the trouble you had before our arrival, the opportunity to stay in your home was a blessing!

Just so you know, we all had a wonderful time and the lack of water didn't phase us at all.

Your generousity and open heart helped to make us all feel at home during our stay with you. Hopefully, we will be able to see you next year when we are back in Zambia!

In the meantime, may God's blessings be on you all and in everything that you are doing in Zambia! Our prayers will be with you.

P.S. We especially enjoyed the pancakes!

David and Linda Gregersen said...

Olivia, thank you for your kind words. You and your group were a joy to be with. It seems that everyone who visits us is a blessing from God. We hope to see you next year when you come to Africa again.