Sunday, June 19, 2005

Will David be next?

Kelly Hamby is Superintendent of Namwianga Mission. He and his wife, Ellie, are co-directors of the Zambia Medical Mission. Ellie shared this news of Kelly's latest adventure in Livingstone, about two hours away from Namwianga. Cell phone users, beware! Here's what Ellie wrote:

Zambia has passed a new law making it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving. Kelly went to Livingstone today to take Sheri and Lois Sears to the airport for their flight to Cape Town. I called Kelly and he answered the phone. Unfortunately, he was driving right by a standing police when he answered. He was stopped and sent to the police station. He called me from the police station with his sad story, and being the considerate wife I am, I told him not to worry-- I would bring food to his jail cell tonight. He called me back about an hour later saying that since this was his first offense and since they knew Mr. Merritt and Namwianga, they decided they would let him go. He called me from a restaurant in Livingstone where he was celebrating his release by having a nice steak dinner! It would have been cheaper for him to have spent the night in jail!

No comments: