Saturday, May 21, 2005

"Last" Thoughts

If you're a regular reader of our blog, you've noticed that our postings have been less frequent lately. I'm sorry about that, but our life is extremely hectic right now! I wrote earlier about the "first of the lasts" when I said goodbye to my brother. Now we are experiencing some "lasts" almost daily. A recent blog comment was a great reminder that many of our "lasts" can be causes for rejoicing. Yes, we do look forward to the last traffic jam in Austin (but it may well be on the way to the airport on June 20).

I'm finishing up the school year with my second graders at Brentwood Christian School. This week I've given my last test, entered my last grades on the computer, supervised the last class party, and taught my last science unit. I've uttered sighs of relief at all of these. These experiences are not on the same level as saying goodbyes, but each is a reminder that our departure date is fast approaching. And each is a reminder that these lasts will lead to a huge round of new firsts. There will be tests to give in Zambia, grades to record, and parties to host (I hope). Unfortunately, there will also be traffic of one sort or another to deal with.

All of this shapes my perspective on living as a Christian. We seldom realize it, but everyone experiences some of these "lasts." No large gathering of friends will be quite the same next year. Technology makes our old things and processes obsolete, so we do many things for the last time. On the other hand, our fast-paced society requires us to encounter new "firsts" all the time. New roads open, new procedures are instituted, new friendships form. Change is all around us. An old hymn reminds us that "time is filled with swift transitions" and the only solution is to "build your hopes on things eternal" and "hold to God's unchanging hand." I'm holding on tight these days!
Linda

No comments: