Monday, May 02, 2005

Of Missionaries and Money

Through the years I occasionally thought about missionaries and decided that I would never, ever want to be one. The major drawback in my mind was having to raise all the money. How degrading, I thought, to have to ask people to give you money! And then I went to Africa. . . and learned to love the people in Africa. . .and saw their great needs. . .and realized I could do something to spread the gospel in Africa. . .and felt God's call to go to Africa. . . and found I could, indeed ask for money for missions.

Through the years I also discovered the joy of giving money to missionaries. And I realized that the work of spreading the gospel requires two kinds of people: those who go and those who send.

Now David and I are going, and we are humbled by the great generosity of those who are sending. Our congregation at Brentwood Oaks has committed to provide monthly support and our work fund. The East Sunshine church in Springfield, Missouri, the Mt. Vernon, Missouri, church, the Westover Hills church here in Austin, and the Northside church in San Antonio have helped with our vehicle and house fund. Other generous individuals have also contributed--many without being asked. We are thankful for those who send.

Linda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way at times. It takes a measure of humility to ask and there are numerous other worthy causes. I also find that some people don't even know how to respond to spiritual goals. When people are supportive, however, it really is a boost. I believe that it is up to the 'senders' to make sure that the 'sent' know that they are fully behind what they are doing.

Perhaps a better way would be to simply tell people what you are doing, that you need support, and then leave it up to them. This avoids asking and opens things up to a free-will gift (as opposed to feeling morally obligated).