Thursday, May 12, 2005

Meal time hand washing


The Zambians do not eat very often with forks and spoons. Nshima is their fork or spoon. They take a handful of nshima, squeeze and shape it with their hand and then use it to dip into the relish (the side dish of chicken stew or some vegetable). Hand washing is thus necessary before and after eating. A bowl and pitcher of water is made available for all to wash with before and after a meal. I took this picture of our friend Simeon Siachobe washing his hands before eating with the headmaster of Kabanga School in Kabanga, Zambia.

1 comment:

Franklin Wood said...

Greetings, Gregersens!
I've never met you, but my family served at Namwianga from 1987-92. My brother made me aware of your blog. It is cool to hear about these customs and people through your eyes, and remember what things were like. I really miss all the people there. Please tell them Franklin Wood says hello! (My dad is Fred Wood...most of the teachers will remember him and my mom, Judy.) Keep up the blog, I enjoy it!