Saturday, May 06, 2006

More on Patience

I found this definition of patience by John Piper and felt it was worth sharing. We have it posted in our kitchen: Patience is being forced by circumstances to go to an unplanned place of obedience, going at an unplanned pace.

We face the "unplanned pace" part of patience almost every day. Kelly Hamby and I used to joke that in Zambia, events move at the speed of cold molasses. Those of you who know me well can understand that I have had to make some adjustments to live this way. God has blessed me by helping me walk at this unplanned pace, and I am grateful. I am also blessed by the example of the Zambian people who live very patiently in a sometimes harsh land.

Here is the latest installment in the continuing saga of our attempts to pay the road tax. We found out that the road tax can be paid at the bank in Choma. Our friend Andrew was headed to Choma on Thursday, so we sent money with him so that he could go to the bank and pay the tax for us. He arrived at 1:30 and found that they only accept road tax payments in the morning. The lessons on patience continue--at an unplanned pace.

No comments: