Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Snake! Snake!


Linda and I took a walk this evening just before the sun went down. As we walked, I told Linda, "We've been here eleven months and we haven't killed a big snake in our yard yet. I thought we would have killed four or five by now."

Around 7:30 p.m. I had just finished washing the dishes. As I looked out the kitchen window I could see our cat lying on the ground just past the back veranda steps. I called to him a few times, but he seemed preoccupied. When he finally moved to come into the house, I saw the object of his attention. Apparently the cat was stalking and getting ready to attack this cobra. I guess I blew the cat's cover.

I took this picture of the cobra seconds before our neighbor Jeremiah Moono, famed Namwianga snake killer, put an end to it. Jeremiah snuck up behind the snake, gave it one mighty whack on the head with his specially designed snake-killing stick, and then speared it to the ground. The cobra measured over a meter long.

Another Africa adventure that the Zambians handle as an everyday occurrence.

By the way, I have already ordered one of those snake-killing spears.
Jeremiah says they make them in the villages for about 98 cents.

Having fun in Africa,
David

No comments: