Sunday, June 29, 2008

How to Pray for Someone Dealing with Cancer

I have often struggled to know how to pray for someone who is fighting a long-term illness like cancer. Usually my prayers for others have been vague requests for healing and for strength for the patient and the family.

Now I am the cancer patient in need of prayer, and I suddenly understand how much more specific intercessory prayers can be. I have been blessed to hear the targeted, heart-felt prayers of my Christian friends as they have lifted me up before the Father. From them and from my experience, I offer the following suggestions as you pray for me or for others who are fighting cancer.

I believe that God works through the physicians, technicians, and caregivers who are treating me. I have seen how much precision and knowledge is involved in procedures, lab work, diagnosis, and treatment plans. I think it is certainly appropriate to pray for the medical personnel, asking God to use their skills and to guide them in their interpretations of medical reports, and in their decisions about diagnosis and treatment plans.

When possible, pray for the doctors by name. My main oncologist is Dr. Hellerstedt, and she oversees my treatment plan.  Dr. Nuesch (pronounced New-ish) is my radiation oncologist. Tomorrow (June 30) he will be determining the plan for my 33 radiation treatments. This requires a high degree of skill and precision to ensure that the correct radiation is used in exactly the right areas, so prayers for Dr. Nuesch are in order. A good outcome also relies on machines that work correctly and technicians who follow the prescribed plan, so that, too, can be a matter of prayer.  

Some of my prayer warriors have asked for specific times when I will be in surgery or in treatment and have committed to pray for me at those times. Beginning on Tuesday, I will have radiation at 10:00 every weekday, and your prayers are much appreciated.

Cancer is a frightening disease that can easily overwhelm the patient’s thinking and lifestyle. I have heard my friends pray that I will have peace and confidence as I face treatments. I have felt God’s peace throughout my ordeal, often feeling that I am riding on the wings of those prayers.

Cancer affects the entire family. They, too, are frightened and have had their lives changed by this unwelcome interruption. How comforting it is to know that friends are praying for David, Sara, John, and Leah, as well as for David’s parents and our siblings.

At times, I have found it difficult to think clearly, especially when I’ve been overwhelmed by information about cancer and treatments. Prayers for clear thinking are certainly appropriate.

My desire is that God will be glorified by whatever happens. I am constantly aware that my attitude and my faith are on display to the medical personnel and to my friends and family as I deal with this disease. I need prayers that I will be able to show God’s power at work in me so that God receives the glory.

I’ll close with the words of Paul in 2 Corinthians 1:10b-11. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us, as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Linda and David,

Thank you for reminding us of so many people to pray for as we deal with this intruder: cancer. Yesterday my wife and I sat in the doctor's office as he told us that the initial CT scan indicated the great probability of cancer in her left lung. We were in shock! We had expected a confirmation of the pneumonia for this cough that has progressively limited her abilities over these past 30 days. We are so thankful to God for our faith, for "faith is the victory that overcomes the world." Our family and Christian friends have sat with us, cried with us, and prayed with us. We know that fear of the LORD and knowledge are the keys to wisdom, so we want to learn more. The first web site we checked was way too morbid. So we'll talk to more doctors after the July 4th holidays. God bless you in your therapy treatments. D & C