Friday, August 29, 2008

Goodbyes

We are packing and preparing to leave for Zambia on Tuesday.  I think the goodbyes this time are harder than ever.  

We found out two weeks ago that David's father, Jake Gregersen, has acute leukemia.  Because of other health conditions he is not able to take any chemotherapy or other treatment.  We spent the first part of this week in Searcy with David's parents.  Jake and Margaret are people of incredible faith, and our time with them was a blessing.  Jake shared this with us about his condition:  "I have my ticket; I just don't know the departure date."  Margaret is loving and tender in her care of him, and it was a joy to watch them.  David asked his dad to name one thing he was really glad he had done.  Jake answered without hesitation, "I'm glad I married your mother."  

We laughed, we cried, we prayed, we read scriptures, we told stories.  And we said goodbye. 

It was harder this time.  


No comments: