Friday, July 11, 2008

Another Lesson from Feathered Friends

Following is an excerpt from Anne Graham Lotz's book Why? Trusting God When You Don't Understand (Thomas Nelson publishers, 2004).

A Tale of Two Birds
A turkey and an eagle react differently to the threat of a storm. A turkey reacts by running under the barn, hoping the storm won't come near. On the other hand, an eagle leaves the security of its nest and spreads its wings to ride the air currents of the approaching storm, knowing they will carry it higher in the sky than it could soar on its own. Based on your reaction to the storms of life, which are you? A turkey or an eagle?


It's natural for me to be a turkey in my emotions, but I have chosen to be an eagle in my spirit. And as I have spread my wings of faith to embrace the "Wind," placing my trust in Jesus and Jesus alone, I have experienced quiet, "everyday" miracles:


His joy has balanced my pain.

His power has lifted my burden.

His peace has calmed my worries.

His grace has been more than adequate to cover me.

His strength has been sufficient to carry me through.

His love has bathed my wounds like a healing balm.

Soaring has become an adventure of discovering just how faithful He can be when I am way out of my comfort zone in the stratosphere over the storm. Soaring is an adventure of discovering by experience His answer to my pain. . .

Soaring is so exhilarating, I find increasingly that I am no longer content to live in the barnyard of familiar comfort just for the relative security that seems to be there. I want to live by faith.

The book is available from www.christianbook.com.

No comments: